CAR LEASING BASINGSTOKE
Interesting Facts about Basingstoke
- Basingstoke’s 274′ high Fanum House in Basing View is the tallest building between London and New York.
- Basingstoke was voted the 12th best place to live in the country (2009)
- Basingstoke’s Festival Place shopping centre is the eighth largest in Britain
- Basingstoke canal is home to Britain’s largest bat colony.
- Festival Place has won many awards, among them the prestigious ‘Loo of the Year’ Award
- Liz Hurley, model and actress, attended Harriet Costello school and Queen Mary’s College in Basingstoke, amongst local acting roles, in 1980, she played ‘Fairy Starlight’ in Jack and the Beanstalk in a local Panto
- 30 of Hampshire’s top companies are based in Basingstoke
- Basingstoke is known to CBers as ‘Doughnut City’ due to the large number of Roundabouts. Indeed so famed is Basingstoke for roundabouts that the ‘Basingstoke roundabout’ gets a mention in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. . . .
- Basingstoke’s banana ripening warehouse is the largest in Europe. (Ffyfes Houndmills Road)
- Basingstoke has a higher density of spy cameras watching its population than New York. As of September 2005 there were 186 in total, twelve in London Street alone.
- The passageways of Basingstoke’s shopping centre, Festival place featured on cult BBC2 show Top Gear. Jeremy Clarkson and mystery driver The Stig turned the shopping centre into a racetrack to test-drive two new hatchbacks.